Short-term, intensive programs to improve your squat and super-strict 30-day fat loss plans are intriguing and can definitely be effective, but be weary! Make sure to realize that you're not really anywhere near "done" when they're over because, whether you recognize it or not, training is a long-term game. In CrossFit, strength and skills don’t develop overnight and physiques don’t change in a couple of weeks. Knowing that you're in it for the long haul will influence your technique rep by rep and prevent you from pushing the envelope when unnecessary. Here are some tips for staying in healthy and maximizing your performance in the long-term:
- Follow your coach’s programming. Don’t jump around from program to program or only do workouts that seem fun or challenging. Programs are written strategically and have set days for different movement patterns and types of loading. Stick to the script and you will be rewarded.
- Embrace rest days. Don’t overexert yourself by training seven straight days. Your goals will not be impeded by a day of rest. Sticking to a set schedule of training/rest days will allow you to reap the maximal reward from your efforts while also keeping you from burning out mentally!
- Listen to your body. If you’re not feeling the box one day, do some fitness at home or outside! Change it up if necessary. Remember, the goal is to have your fitness for life, so do whatever you need to have fun and enjoy the journey.
- Eat to your needs. If you’re looking to lean out or lose weight, make sure to do it in a healthy manner. CrossFit requires you adequately fuel your body for intense training. If you’re depriving yourself of calories or carbohydrates, you won’t feel or perform your best. Set yourself up for sustainable success!
- Hone in on your lifestyle. How can you make some changes outside the gym to better your longevity inside the box? It might be trying to decrease your weekly alcohol consumption. Or maybe its getting to bed one hour earlier each night. Try to find your lifestyle performance limiters to enhance your long-term success!