The holiday season can pose some problems for routine-oriented exercise enthusiasts and their gym time. While the temptations are absolutely much higher around the holidays, it does not mean that you have to go off the deep end! Instead of using this time of year to make excuses, try to attack the holidays with these helpful tips to help stay on track toward reaching those fitness goals you have set for yourself.
Here are some keys for maintaining balance during the holiday season:
- Set a goal. Pick a realistic number of times you can commit to get to the gym per week and stick to it. Regardless of dinners, shopping, or obligations, make sure to hit your goal. Tell a coach or write it down to help make it a reality!
- Complete a “holiday-themed” workout. Rather than skipping the Christmas-themed WOD, wake up and get to the gym so you can enjoy the rest of the day! If this is completely out of reach, try to complete a home workout with what ever you have accessible. You can always resort to running and burpees with no equipment needed!
- Find a training partner. Whether at home or traveling, make sure to have someone who can hold you accountable. Your training partner can encourage you to get to the box during a busy week or push you to do that workout at home!
- Everything in moderation. Try and sit down at a table while you are eating, enjoy your company and conversations with your family and loved ones. You don’t necessarily have to stuff your face in order to enjoy your holiday and all the delicious food. If you want something, eat a sensible portion without remorse!
- Stay hydrated. Alcohol is all around during the holidays. Be sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day as well as the day after. Staying up with water intake helps keep your hunger at bay while also preventing hangovers.