Finding Positives Amidst Failure
We all doubt ourselves and our abilities from time to time. CrossFit has a special way of humbling anyone and everyone who walks through the doors. At some point, we are all going to struggle to meet some of our goals and we are going to have to face failure. While it can be disappointing and frustrating, how you respond to these challenges is often more important than the loss itself. Here are five ways to find positives amidst failure:
- Embrace the struggle. Get out there and try! Regardless of the outcome, you will either succeed or you will learn a vital lesson. A failed attempt at something can be all you need to propel yourself forward in another endeavor.
- Avoid negativity. Your thoughts and mindset are deeply shaped by those you spend the most time with. Try to leave people who carry negativity around in your past. Negative people are the greatest destroyers of self-confidence and self-esteem. Do your best to surround yourself with people who bring out the best in you.
- Remember to show gratitude. Even when times are tough and it seems like you keep getting knocked down, it’s always important to keep things in perspective. Not everyone has the ability or capacity to get up, move their body, and test their physical boundaries. Remember to appreciate your body and what it is capable of, even when you have greater expectations for yourself!
- Keep moving forward. Momentum is everything! Even if you’re moving forward at an incredibly slow pace, you’ll eventually get to the finish line. This is why its important to celebrate every achievement and milestone, no matter how small. Every step you take will lead you farther away from where you were yesterday and closer to your goals. We only reach our destinations by taking consistent small steps in the same direction, day after day.
- Reframe your self-talk. Instead of “Why did this happen to me?” reassess and ask “What have I learned from this experience?” Rather than “What if I can’t do this?” think “What do I actually have control over?” Replace “Why didn’t I qualify?” with “What can I do right now to move forward?” By reframing your questions, you will realign your thinking. Positive thinking breeds positive actions and positive results!
When you deeply care about something, failure can be extremely distressing. But in reality, failure is all apart of the journey. Everything happens for a reason. We need to fail to understand how to succeed. Enjoy every second of your experience. Fight through your failures and earn your successes!