The CrossFit Open is the one time of year everyone in the entire CrossFit world can compete against one another for 5 consequtive weeks. While it's a lot of fun for most, it can also be the most stressful time of the year for others. For the large majority of CrossFitters, it's the beginning and end of their season, but for the select few .. it's just the start. Here are 5 ways you can make the most out of your CrossFit Open, regardless of where you stand on the leaderboard:
1) Get involved in your community- Chances are if you're a member at your local box, they are doing something for the Open each week. Whether that be volunteering to judge others, bringing food and drinks to celebrate, or just showing up to put your best effort forward, it's bound to be a lot of fun!
2) Celebrate small victories- You never know what you're capable of doing when you have an awesome community around you and an adrenaline rush! If you happen to PR a lift or complete a movement you have never done before, go and treat yo'self!
3) Focus on yourself- We are all competitive, it's just in our nature, but try not to worry about someone else beating you. You are getting better every day you walk into that gym, so focus on you, your effort, and not on comparing yourself to other athletes!
4) Cheer on competitors in your gym- Cheer on those who are trying to pursue regionals or the CrossFit Games at your gym! It's an extremely hard process and an amazing accomplishment to be the top in this sport, so let them know you support their journey. They will be honored to be cheered on by their home community!
5) Push your limits and have fun- You know the workouts are going to hurt, so push past the pain, smile, and be pumped you get to be there! Make sure to give a high five or some words of affirmation if you see someone stressed or frustrated with themselves! A simple good job goes a long way during an electric and emotional five weeks of competition like the Open.
Happy Open Season!